Monday, October 27, 2014

Who Wants to Run Some Hills?


 This weekend I participated in my 3rd Tulsa Run.  The first one was laughable with how slow I ran/walked that thing.  That was the furthest distance I had ever gone that first time three years ago.  I was just thankful to cross the finish line in one piece.  

The second one was last year.  It was super cold out and I was layered up but ready to improve upon my time from the year before.  I knew I was faster (but not really in better shape)...I was just faster from running more throughout the year.  I had trained for hills because I knew from the previous year how hilly the Tulsa Run really was.  I was prepared as best as I could be and I gave it my all last year with a finish time of around 1 hr 33 min.  

This year was different.  1. It was beautiful weather.  2. I had trained way more throughout the year 3.  I am in the best physical shape since high school  4. I was ready for HILLS.  Then I hear that they changed the course for the run this year to be even more HILLY than normal.  I run a lot of races and this Tulsa Run route was already the hilliest race I've ever raced in.  This year was intense.  Not a great race for a first time racer.  Brutal hills one after the other.  9.3 miles was the total race distance and 4.5 of those miles were straight hills.  My calves and hammies are burning today, I'm not gonna lie.

This year I ran as best as I could.  I pushed myself through mile 7-9 when I was beginning to really wear down.  I never quit.  I never walked.  I kept going.  I finished in the top 9% of my age group and top 15% overall out of 5000 runners.  I was pretty proud of that one.  I shaved about 15 minutes off from last year and crossed the finish line at 1 hr 18 min.  

I'm thankful for my running partners, Kristi and Melinda, who encourage and push me to always try my best.  Without them, I would be slower and fatter:)  I'm also thankful for my hubby who took me out for an authentic Italian dinner the night before to "carb load".  Speaking from someone who doesn't really eat a lot of carbs anymore...this place was AMAZING.  Even Steven, who eats carbs all the time, loved this place.  If you have never tried Mondo's in Brookside than it should be a must go date night for you and your date. 

Happy Monday everyone!  I'm going to go ice my calves now!






No comments:

Post a Comment