Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A "Trail" of a Birthday

 Yesterday someone very special to our family had a birthday.  A very special 36th birthday.  Man, we are getting old but that's besides the point.  In 6 short months I will be that age as well so we don't really need to talk any more about this:)  

For Steven's birthday, he did what any good Daddy would do and took his two sons and wife hiking and exploring.  Owen wanted to do Bigfoot calls and tree knocks to hopefully lure him out into the open.  Will wanted to use Owen's new binoculars.  Steven wanted to read the maps and find snakes to show the boys.  I just wanted to watch.  I love watching my boys (Owen especially) in this environment.  He's so happy, so at peace, so brave, so curious, so inventive...and LOVES the outdoors more than anyone in this family.  This is a boy who could live, eat, and breathe camping and tent living 24/7.  Sports?  Not his thing yet although that still might come.  Outdoor explorer?  That's a for sure love of his life and has been since he was old enough to realize what outside was.

I printed off a scavenger hunt sheet, sprayed us all with bug spray, and off we went on Daddy's birthday to explore for a couple of hours.  We saw birds, squirrels, bugs, spiders and webs, a few snakes, frogs, moss, cat tails, minnows, turtles, tree stumps, wildflowers, clouds, lakes, ponds, cranes, heard LOUD airplanes overhead, and explored many other things that I am sure I am missing.  Both boys were into using their clipboards and checking items off as we found them.  I really didn't know if that part would hold Owen's attention but he was very much a part of his clipboard marking off experience.  

After a couple of hours of us wandering around we decided to call it quits and let Steven pick where he wanted to eat because, after all, it was his birthday.  He picked Shogun.  Oh, I know there was a reason I loved this man.  This is also one of my favorites, if not my favorite, place to eat.  Yumm-O.  Speaking of O...Owen talked to our chef the entire time he was cooking.  He made small talk with him, cracked up at his jokes, asked questions, and whopped and hollered at all his shrimp throwing, egg rolling talents.  Will sat unimpressed.  He just wanted his food.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend with their families too.  Happy birthday to my husband Steven.  What a great perfect example of a hard worker, amazing father, and even better husband.  I couldn't be more thankful for him and what he brings to this family.  Happy birthday honey and many more to come!














No comments:

Post a Comment