Monday, October 6, 2014

My Personal Best


 39 degrees on a chilly Saturday morning.  I was scheduled to run in the Tulsa Zoo Run 10k.  Wouldn't you know the chilliest morning of the season and I had to run 6.3 miles.  Oh well, at least it was better than being burning hot.  So, I grabbed my ear warmer, 2 long sleeved shirts, and off I went.  I had no goal to speak of, I just wanted to run my best 10k ever.  Until my good friend Melinda grabbed me and said, "what's your goal?"  Um...I kind of had to think about that one.  I didn't really know.  So she and I sat there in the bathroom line and worked some numbers.  We said our goal was going to be 51 minutes.  That was still a 8:09 min mile for 6.3 miles and was going to be a stretch for us.

It's always good to set goals and has been an important thing for me during this weight loss and running journey.  So, we set our goal for 51 minutes and off we went.  We never really talk much throughout these races because we are "in our zone" but we try to give encouragement to each other through silent head nods, butt slaps, high fives, and thumbs up signs.  There were a few times we couldn't talk at all even if we tried because we were booking it as fast as our legs could carry us.  

I want to remind you that our goal was 51 minutes.  AND WE CRUSHED IT.  Check out these results!  We crossed the finish line for our age group in 4th and 5th place with a finish of 49:47.  BOOM!!!  We were so proud of ourselves and I just can't believe how much further I have come in only one year since running this race (last year my finish time was around 57 minutes).   I am thankful for Melinda for sticking with me and how we support each other through these races.  I am sure I could do it without a friend, but I wouldn't want to. 

Speaking of friend, I have to give a shout out to our other running partner Kristi.  She knocked it out of the park for her and also delivered a personal best for this 10k.  She's a full time working mom, with two kids of her own, and STILL finds time to train and run and take time for her and her goals.  I am so very proud of these women!  What a positive influence they both have in my life.  

Go shoot for your personal best today in all you do!  








No comments:

Post a Comment