Tuesday, August 13, 2013

MarVal Camping Weekend

 Ah, camping.  Camping you say?  I might not strike some people as a "camper" but I do enjoy a weekend once a year:)  And when I say camping, I mean an air conditioned cabin with two beds, a mini kitchen and bathroom, a TV, and electricity.  So call me a "camper" or not, but I don't mind that for 2 nights!

We have been going to MarVal since Will was a baby.  In fact, the first time we went was for a Kueny family reunion when Will was just learning to walk.  I would say he was about 9 months old.  We have gone back every single Summer since then so this was Will's 6th time to visit.  

My boys love this place.  Even Will, who is not as outdoorsy as his brother really thrives here.  They love the freedom of the outside at all times of the day.  They love to skip rocks, play at the park, play mini golf, sit by the fire, watch the outdoor movies, ride the golfcart, swim at the pool, play at the splash pad, raft the Illinois River with us, grill hotdogs over and open flame, play in their loft upstairs, and play volleyball.  I am sure I left some activities out but every year there is never any lack of fun stuff for them to do.  

This summer was one of the first summer's in a long time that there was not a burn ban.  The last two summers have been from the Devil and we had to make s'mores in a microwave.  Not the same AT ALL.  This year was awesome because we could do the s'mores, have a bonfire, and make dinner all at the same time.  The whole camp just smelled of open air fires all weekend.  I love that smell!

It is also a tradition to hit up a local restaurant while camping.  The place is called Soda Steve's.  It is at the Fin and Feather Resort right on the edge of Lake Tenkiller.  There is a pretty little pond with ducks and a sand volleyball court right outside that the both boys were consumed over during dinner.  I will let you guess which of the boys was knee deep in the pond in attempts to catch/talk to a duck and return a feather he found on the ground.  Did you guess yet?  Yep, you're probably right!

Soda Steve's makes all their root beer and cream soda homemade.  If you are ever there you MUST try it.  I have sipped on both and in my opinion the root beer is better.  Still try both.  They are worth trying!  

Thank you to our friends, The McCarty's, for going with us this weekend.  Camping is always fun but it's even more enjoyable when you have another family to share your experiences with.  It was their first time at MarVal and I am pretty sure it will not be their last!












No comments:

Post a Comment