Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Catch that Lizard!

 This is Gloss Mountain National Park near Cleo Springs, OK.  Blink and you will miss Cleo Springs but just as you drive the incline over the city you are greeted with the Gloss Mountains.  I say mountains but I really mean "mountains".  All these beautiful mounds of red dirt really prove is how incredibly flat Oklahoma really is.  You can see the flatness in all the glory once you climb to the top. Don't get me wrong.  This mountain was plenty high for me and the boys couldn't have gone much higher without some breaks.  It was just the right tallness and wideness for our family:)  There were many times when Steven was just a bit too close to the edge looking for lizards, bugs, what not.  Guess who would follow him every.single.time? Yep...his shadow in the form of Owen.  


I think you have probably heard me say before on this blog how Owen loves all animals.  This was even more apparent while climbing and at the top of the mountain.  Flying bugs, still bugs, turtles, frogs, lizards, birds, swarming birds...he loved them all.  I think our grand tally for the day on lizards was around 4.  Some of them Steven was quick enough to catch.  Most could escape.  Those things are quick!!


It was quite amazing that this mountain and types of views were in our state.  I didn't really know about this part of Oklahoma until my mother in law told me about it.  She was the one that suggested we visit Gloss Mountain and the Great Salt Plains.  I am super glad we did and I am glad we were able to introduce the boys to a section of Oklahoma that was totally new to them.  The entire time they kept asking, "Are we still in Oklahoma?  What state are we in?"  We kept telling them over and over that this was Oklahoma and you could tell by their faces they just weren't buying it.  Who knew Oklahoma had some pretty parts?  Not me!  


If you have never traveled to this part of Oklahoma, I would suggest doing it.  There's no other section of our state that looks like this (so I've heard) so I would make it a duty to go see the pretty country that is Oklahoma.  I'm glad we did....








No comments:

Post a Comment