Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Roanoke Star

If ever traveling to Roanoke VA you might like to visit the Roanoke Star.  You probably should include it in your list of things to do because there's really not much else to do:)  I'm not going to try and knock Roanoke here but unless you have pretty weather you kind of lose a lot of your activities because so many of the best things to do in this town are outside and involve physical activity.  Enter 42 degrees and rain the entire time we were in Roanoke.  I was totally and completely freezing and made the boys stop me by a store so I could purchase more long sleeved clothing.  I saw 50's in the forecast while packing so I was thrilled that I threw in some long pants and a few long sleeved things.  42 and rain (in my book) is Winter weather and I demanded a sweatshirt.  Because of the rain we were unable to hike up to the star (80 feet on a mountain).  Honestly, I would have loved to do this but I was so cold that I just voted to drive to the top and snap some quick pictures.  The boys had NO PROBLEM with this as they had told me no less than 10 times that they had no desire to hike up an 80 foot tall mountain.  This was a 3 mile hike people.  Round-trip.  It wasn't like I was asking them to climb Mt. Everest....

Next, it was onto West Virginia which again...was way too cold outside to do things that I would have loved to do.  

We picked the caverns which were a "warm" 52 degrees inside.  Hey, that was warmer and dryer than outside so we decided on that activity.  I've only been to one other cavern before in my life (I believe that was somewhere in Missouri).  Yep, this one looked just like that one.  More on the THRILLING caverns tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment