Tuesday, April 28, 2015

I'm Part Blue Devil Now

 I'm gonna be honest here and tell everyone that I did NOT think I would actually enjoy our visit to Duke University last week.  I mean, college was cool and all but I'm super thankful that part of my life is over.  I just didn't know what I would expect walking around and sightseeing at a university for hours on end would be like.  I didn't think I would like it.  I was WRONG!  This university is beyond gorgeous.  The trees, the hills, the grand buildings, the landscaping, the stone work everywhere.  I could go on and on.  

On Friday morning when Steven and Chris were golfing the Duke course I took off for my long run.  I'm training for a 15k coming up this weekend for anyone who didn't know.  This last weekend I was scheduled to run 8 miles.  What better place to do it than a university that you've never been to, you know is totally full of hills, and you are alone?  Yep, that was me!  

We woke up at 6am ON VACATION to come to this place and golf, run, and explore.  We arrived at 7am and didn't leave until 5pm.  That's 10 hours of Duke for those of you doing the math.  Like I said, I thought I would be bored.  I was not.  Thankfully I snuck right on into the women's locker room after my run and showered and changed there for the rest of the days activities.  I couldn't be that stinky and sweaty the rest of the day.  Gross!

It was great to be able to see our friend Chris at Duke.  This is a guy we have known for 25 years and in that time his love for this university and mainly Coach K and the basketball team have never faltered.  It helped that just last month the Duke basketball team came away with another championship.  This was their 5th one (as I learned while touring the Cameron Indoor Stadium).  I do love Kentucky and will also be a Kentucky basketball fan but now I guess I must add Duke onto that list as well.  Hey, they are both bright blue and one of my favorite colors so I guess that's fine:)

The Duke Chapel is a site to behold.  I just walked around the whole place knowing that this was something my Dad would have loved to see.  I texted him while there and told him he would enjoy touring this college.  He agreed and said it looked gorgeous and wanted to come.  It even has a huge basketball (and other sports too) museum you can walk through (another thing right up my dad's alley).  

Our 4 day trip was off to a great start at the home of the Blue Devils.  My run was over and I was ready to indulge in many trips to Starbucks the rest of the weekend, dessert for most meals, and carbs.  Bring them on!  That's what vacations are for right? Eating what you want and relaxing?  Well, that's what I did for sure and we soaked up every minute of our 4 days.  

More on our trip tomorrow....







No comments:

Post a Comment