Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lincoln Graduation



It has been 7 years since I first taught my very first class at Lincoln Christian School. 7 years is a long time to still keep in touch with your students that you only knew as pre-teen 5th graders. I have kept in touch with many of these students though. This was a very special class to me. A first for me in so many areas in my life. I am just thankful that they endured a very new teacher for a year:) Most of these students I had again the following year but only for one subject a day. These kids touched a place in my heart. I have many memories of this class (as I do with all my classes) but this class, for some reason, sticks out over all others.

Believe it or not, time has passed with flying speed. Fast forward 7 years and it is now time for this class to graduate high school. Don't I feel old now?? I am so proud of these students and all they have accomplished so far. All of them prove that you don't have to be "weird" or "lame" to be called a Christian. All of the work hard, love their families, strive to be the best person they can be, all while maintaining their character and dignity as they age. My heart swelled with love for them as I watched them obtain just one more goal in their life and achieve their high school diploma!

First up: Calleigh. I knew she "might" be trouble the first week I had her in my class! Super funny girl, the joke of everyone and every thing. I knew I would have to rein her in:) She grew on me though and I began to have to hold back my laughter with her in class (I had to maintain some sense of control, right?) She is still so funny and beautiful and everything I remember about her. Calleigh is heading to the University of Arkansas in the fall. Go Razorbacks!!

Next up: Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn was such a hard worker and I could tell that from day one! She reminded me a lot (and still does) of myself at her age. She somehow found a way to study hard, work hard, and excel without being classified as a nerd! She was an excellent cheerleader also (just like me if I do say so myself!). Kaitlyn achieved a high honor on Friday night as well being listed as only one of a handful of students with a 4.0 GPA or higher! I am so proud of her! Kaitlyn is heading to Oral Roberts University in the fall to begin a degree in Elementary Education (another thing like me!) Go Eagles!


Chloe: Sweet Chloe. She is always laughing, always smiling, always there to be friendly with. She never made fun of anyone. Always loved everyone. She too is a very hard worker. I remember one time she grew her hair out forever!!! It was so beautiful. She cut it all off and donated all of it to Locks of Love for cancer patients. That's just how Chloe is. She is also a girl after my heart since she is going to my favorite school ever...University of Oklahoma in the fall! Go Sooners!

Maddie: Maddie is a star on the court. She loved and and still loves to play volleyball. She is so great at it too, as she should be since she is one of the tallest students I have ever taught. She towered over me then and still does today:) She is a hard worker who loves her family tremendously. I watched her hug Mom and Dad after she walked to get her diploma. Tears were flowing from her eyes and she looked so happy! She is heading to where I went my freshman year of college too, Oklahoma Baptist University. Go Bison!

Makenzie: She's a doll. Such a cutie. I am sure she has been called that her whole life and she gets sick of it. There are worse things you can be called, Makenzie, so just deal with it:) She is a hoot. She got good grades too, always tried her hardest in math and NEVER gave up even when it was hard for her. She excelled in cheerleading. I believe this past year she even made the team for National Cheerleading Association (NCA). That's a big deal! She is heading to Northeastern State University this fall. Go Redmen!

The only guy in the bunch: Latta. Latta made me laugh and still does. Latta always told me, even on my worst days, that I looked pretty or that I was his favorite teacher. I am sure this is still not true, but I like to believe it might be! He tried hard at math as well. I remember many days of after school tutoring with me when he would be willing to do ANYTHING I asked of him around the classroom just to help me out. He is such a sweet, caring, strong young man. Now, when I see him at Rocket Brothers I just smile because I am proud of the hardworking man he is becoming! I believe Latta is going to Tulsa Community College in the fall with hopes of transferring somewhere else after that ( I could be wrong on that bit of information) sorry Latta if I am!



I have taught many more students over the years. I taught many more kids just in this class alone but these are the ones that gave me permission to use their pictures and tell their stories. I am so proud of these kids and thank God that I was able to be a part of their lives even if it was just a small part!

No comments:

Post a Comment