Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Chicago Part 2

 I am not normally a, "Hey, look at that cool sculpture!" type of girl.  BUT...this "Bean" sculpture in Millennium Park is incredible. I don't know how it works, I don't know why it works or why it's shaped like a bean.  All I know is that it is Uber cool and a MUST SEE whenever you are in Chicago.  My favorite picture of the whole trip is probably the one of all 6 of us standing in front of the bean.  I love so much that when you scroll in closer on the pic you can see our reflection from behind on the bean.  Coolness.

Another cool thing we did while in Chi Town was visit the Hancock Tower.  This tower stands 1500 feet off the ground.  We took the elevator to floor 94 and had some drinks at a tower restaurant.  This was a pretty awesome view if you ask me.  You had Lake Michigan on one side of the tower and part of the Chicago skyline on the other.  Another interesting fact about this trip...remember when I said 2 days later it snowed 8 inches?  Well, 2 days later a fire started on floor 50 of the Hancock Tower and the whole building had to be evacuated into the freezing cold snow storm that was outside.  No one was injured or killed (that's the good news) but more good news is that we were, once again, gone during this not so fun Chicago experience!
If and when you might visit this town (we highly recommend it), I would suggest doing these things.  In no particular order:

Navy Pier
Hancock Tower (use the women's bathroom on the 94th floor.  Pretty cool)
Willis Tower Glass Walk out (this will have to be our next trip as we ran out of time)
Magnificent Mile (yes yes and yes)
Millennium Park
ANY local Chicago Pizzeria
Rock Bottom Restaurant on Grand Ave
Garrett's Popcorn (all over downtown)
Wrigley Field


I am sure I am forgetting things but pretty much anywhere we ate or went we all loved it.  I loved how Chicago had the NYC feel but on a much smaller, doable, more walkable feel.  I loved downtown and the hustle and bustle.  I loved it all and I KNOW we will be making a return trip.  It was so worth it.

Bonus:  We also really enjoyed our 1/2 day trip to Notre Dame.  All of us were kind of shocked that the campus wasn't bigger than it was.  I think we all were expecting something huge.  It's not.  It's pretty and old but not nearly as pretty and old as Duke's campus was in North Carolina.  Still, we were happy we did it and saw it but that will be it for me and Notre Dame.  Been there, done that (and yes, I bought the T shirt).

It is now Thanksgiving week and I hope everyone has a great holiday spent with family, friends, and loved ones.  Someone in the Kueny house has a very special bday this week on Friday.  Happy early birthday to our oldest, Will, who turns the big NINE on Black Friday.  How is that even possible?!  Happy Turkey Day everyone!  Bless those Pilgrims!












No comments:

Post a Comment