Monday, February 23, 2015

A Trip to the Tundra

Each time I go to Kentucky to see my best friend of 25 years (yes, we met when we were 11 years old) it is a fun time.  This time was still fun but by "fun" if you like a lot of indoor time with a family that had kids home from school for a solid week...then you GOT IT!  Honestly, her kids were still good and way better than I believe my boys would have been had they been cooped up that long.  Her kids are great at entertaining themselves and for this week that served them well!  

We did venture out a few times to celebrate two things.  1. Our 25 year Friendaversary.  We made that word up:)  Each time we tell people (well, not each but a whole lot) that we have been friends for a quarter of a century we get an extremely weird face.  A face like, "how is that possible?"  Well, we met in 6th grade at the age of 11.
 That's how it's possible.  That's not unheard of.  What is unheard of (almost) is that after 25 years, 5 children, and a 12 hour drive that spans the distance between us, we are still best friends.  We still love and support and take up for each other even when we are lucky to see each other 2-3 times a year ONLY.  That's true friendship and that's what we were celebrating this weekend.  

2. The second reason we went out to celebrate was to cheer on the winning UK Kentucky basketball team.  I'm gonna be honest here, I don't really care that much about college basketball.  Gasp!  I am way more of a college football girl, hands down.  You kinda have to be in OK.  Well, in KY you kinda have to be a bball fan so we dressed up and went out to have dinner and watch the game (thank God for babysitters who are willing to travel in 18 inches of snow).  Kentucky played Auburn and I watched a few minutes of the game in between conversations with Andrea.  I know they smoked them by about 30 points and I know they made it look like they were playing a high school team and that they haven't lost one game this season.  I know that means they are pretty darn good!


I always love coming to Kentucky to visit.  Besides the fact that Andrea lives there it really is one of my favorite states.  It is so beyond beautiful with the soft rolling hills and the million dollar horse farms.  This trip those farms were not as seen since they were covered with 1 1/2 feet of snow but I still knew they were there!  Andrea knows my love of her state so she bought me a new shirt to sport some KY pride!  Thanks for a great weekend and hopefully next time you can come here so I can show you some of our good ole' OK summer weather like you showed me some of the KY winters. At least summer we can lay by the pool and swim so I think I win this contest!  Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment